Many multicultural Australians will be celebrating Chinese New Year, and 2015 is the year of the “Goat” (and or the sheep or ram). To celebrate with them this year, I present these simple and tasty Mushroom Spring Rolls to be shared with all your friends. Made with the finest mushrooms produced in Australia, they are a definite winner. Happy New Year!
Note: Spring rolls get their name because they are traditionally eaten during the Spring Festival. They are a Cantonese dim sum dish of cylindrical-shaped rolls filled with vegetables, meat, or something sweet. Fillings are wrapped in thin dough wrappers, then fried, when the spring rolls are given their golden-yellow colour. Lucky Saying for Eating Spring Rolls ‘A ton of gold’ (because fried spring rolls look like gold bars) — a wish for prosperity.
- 100g packet vermicelli noodles
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mushroom soy sauce
- 100g packet black fungi, finely sliced
- 100g shitake mushroom, finely sliced
- 80g leek, finely sliced
- 20 frozen spring roll wrappers (21.5cm square), thawed
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Sweet chilli sauce, to serve
- Place noodles in a large, heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Stand for 5 minutes or until soft. Drain. Using scissors, cut noodles into 3cm lengths.
- Add noodles, sliced mushrooms, soy and leeks to a bowl. Set aside to cool.
- Place 1 wrapper on a board with a corner pointing towards you. Brush edges with some water (keep remaining wrappers covered with damp tea towel).
- Spoon 1 tablespoon vegetable mixture into corner of wrapper. Fold corner over filling then roll up from corner to corner, folding edges in to enclose filling. Repeat with remaining wrappers, water and filling.
- Pour vegetable oil into wok until one-third full. Heat until a small piece of bread dropped into oil sizzles.
- Cook spring rolls, in batches, for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden.
- Remove to a tray lined with paper towel. Keep warm in oven while cooking remaining spring rolls. Allow oil to reheat after cooking each batch. Serve hot with sweet chilli sauce.