Chocolate Walnut Crack-up Cookies Recipe
Of all the cookie recipes around, this is one of our favourites.
We are super lucky in Australia with the range of produce we can access. Today we are giving you a baking recipe celebrating the humble walnut.
Growing up we were fortunate to be able to crack open fresh walnuts and enjoy them whenever we liked. Many people today have no idea what that funny set of pliers are doing in the second draw in the kitchen. They are the walnut crackers!
There are two major species of walnuts: the English walnut and the black walnut. The English hybrid is grown on a commercial scale and numerous cultivars have been developed over time. The black walnut is less common as a commercial crop.
The combination of chocolate and walnut in a cookie recipe is great for adding a touch of that beautiful nuttiness to the sweet. These cookies are perfect for enjoying with your cup of tea or coffee.
- ½ cup plus 1 tbsp butter
- 6 tbsp cocoa
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- icing sugar
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan and stir the cocoa, blend well.
- Allow to cool, then add the sugar, eggs and vanilla. beat until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Next add the butter cocoa mix into the flour and add the walnuts. Stir well, then cover and allow to chill in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Line a cookie tray with baking paper and set aside.
- Take 1 tablespoon of dough and shape it into a ball and dip and roll in the icing sugar, then place on the prepared tray. Re[peat this for the rest of the dough.
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Allow to cool fully before eating, these chewy centred cookies.