The croque monsieur is a dish so iconically French, it is hard to believe that it is essentially a fancy ham and cheese toasted sandwich. However it could be considered the best one around.
We thought; why not give it a good old Australian twist, with Aged Vintage Cheddar (we used some fantastic cheddar from Ashgrove Farm Cheeses, Elizabeth Town, Tasmania) and some of our very best Spring Asparagus. As we sourced our asparagus fresh from a local farm, we considered that sometimes we forget how lucky we are to have such good produce available so close. Especially in Sydney, fresh asparagus can be delivered from farm to market within four hours. Goodness Guaranteed!
Add to this a touch of Harissa (red spicy) sauce for a delicious “anytime” meal.
We hope you like!
Did you know:
The name is based on the verb croquer (“to crunch”) and the word monsieur (“mister”). The sandwich’s first recorded appearance on a Parisian café menu was in 1910. A croque-monsieur served with a fried egg or poached egg on top is known as a croque-madame.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 bunches asparagus, trimmed
- Olive oil
- 4 slices Sourdough loaf, thickly sliced
- 60g prosciutto, thinly sliced, torn
- 80g Australian Aged Vintage Cheddar, grated
- Mixed salad leaves, to serve
- Some Harissa Sauce see recipe
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1 min or until light golden.
- Gradually whisk in milk until smooth.
- Continue cooking, and stirring constantly for 3 mins or until sauce thickens.
- Preheat grill on high. Line a large baking tray with baking paper or foil.
- Arrange asparagus in a single layer and drizzle lightly with oil.
- Cook under grill, turning once, for about 7 mins or until just tender. Transfer to a plate.
- Toast bread under grill until lightly toasted.
- Flip bread and spread with three-quarters of the white sauce.
- Top with asparagus and prosciutto.
- Spoon over remaining white sauce and sprinkle with cheddar.
- Place back under the grill and cook for 3-4 mins or until the cheese has melted and is golden.
- Serve with a dash of Harissa sauce.