Ready for a showstopper table topper, this Christmas we used the Avanti Star tree cutters and made this amazing treat! You can find them here.
- 125g unsalted butter
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 ½ tbsps golden syrup
- 2 ½ cups plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 4 tsp ground ginger
- Royal icing
- 2 eggwhites, lightly beaten
- 3 cups pure icing sugar
- Combine the flour, ginger, brown sugar and butter in a food processor.
- Process until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the golden syrup and egg yolk, then process until dough just comes together.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently until smooth.
- Cut dough in half and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until well chilled.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Roll dough, 1 portion at a time, between 2 sheets baking paper until 5mm thick.
- Remove top layer baking paper.
- Using your chosen cutters, cut the gingerbread into shapes. Place gingerbread in a single layer on lined baking trays.
- Place gingerbread on trays. Bake, 2 trays at a time, for 15 minutes or until firm. Cool on trays.
- Make royal icing: Using an electric mixer, beat eggwhites until soft peaks form. Gradually add icing sugar, beating constantly until thick.
- Spoon the icing into a snap-lock bag. Trim 1 corner of bag and pipe icing to decorate as desired. Allow to dry. Spoon remaining icing into snap-lock bag.
- If decorating with lollies, pipe a little icing on the back of each lolly and attach to decorate. Dust with icing sugar.