Gluten Free Pizza Bases
This is Hand’s down the best recipe for a Gluten free pizza base you will come across. It is the “I can’t believe it’s not butter” of the gluten free world. This has been sought after by explorers from the far stretches of the known world!
Whilst to be honest, we really can’t verify any of that, we have had plenty of gluten free dieters tell us it is the best they have tasted.
Just try it and see for yourself!
- 2 cups of Organic Buckwheat flour
- ½ cup Corn-starch
- ½ cup Rice Flour
- ½ cup Teff Flour or Quinoa Flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1¼ teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoon of dry yeast
- 1¾ cups of water at room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- In a large mixing bowl, sieve all the flour, xanthan gum and salt into a large bowl, then make a well in the middle.
- Add the yeast in the middle and slowly add the warm water, mixing with a wooden spoon until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Let this rest for 30 minutes, covered with a piece of cling wrap, before kneading.
- Next turn the dough out onto a lightly Buckwheat floured surface and knead for 5 minutes until soft and smooth.
- Clean out and dry the bowl, drizzle olive oil into it, and return the dough to it. Cover the bowl once again and let the dough rise in a cool place for 2-3 hours until doubled in bulk.
- Once the dough has risen knock back the dough and let rise at room temperature for a further 2 hours or until it has risen enough.
- Divide the dough into 3 pieces. Slowly hand spread each piece as needed into a rough 12” round on a lightly Buckwheat floured surface.
- Next depending on your cooking method, for a wood fired oven or pizza stone move the pizza base to a board or peel sprinkled with Buckwheat flour, for a domestic oven use a lightly greased pizza tray and top with your favourite toppings and bake until the base is crispy and the topping has cooked as desired.
- Note that the baking time depends on the oven and stone temperature, I recommend around 220°C or hotter for at least 10 minutes in a domestic oven
- To make the Margherita pizza as pictured spread 2 Tablespoons of your preferred tomato sauce on the pizza base, top with mozzarella cheese. Bake in a hot wood fired oven for 4 minutes, turning once, or for about 10 minutes at 240°C in a conventional oven directly on a pizza stone. Top with fresh sliced heirloom tomato and some basil leaves and buffalo boccocini, serve with a splash of olive oil.