Lemon-whisky cake is the perfect accompaniment to your afternoon tea. It pairs particularly well with Lemon Verbena tea, or any Lemon scented tea derivative perhaps with a tea spoon of your favorite Honey.
- 1 large lemon
- 125ml (1/2 cup) whisky
- Melted butter, to grease
- 185g butter, at room temperature
- 155g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 225g (1½ cups) self-raising flour, sifted
- 170g (1 cup) sultanas
- Zest the lemon. Combine the lemon zest, sultanas and whisky in a bowl. Cover and set aside for at least 2 hours or overnight to soak. Strain the whisky and put to the side.
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Brush a 20 cm loaf cake pan with melted butter to lightly grease. Line the base and side with baking paper.
- Use an electric beater to beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until pale and creamy. Add the egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition until combined.
- Add the flour, sultanas, and whisky mix, and stir until just combined.
- Whisk the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until firm peaks form. Add to the flour mixture and fold to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the surface. Bake in oven for 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Set aside in the pan for 10 minutes to cool slightly before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
If you have tried and like our Lemon-Whisky cake, or have any questions regarding the recipe, please leave us a comment.