Italian Pork and Peperonata Burgers
Who has ever heard of an Italian hamburger?
Combining the Australian and American love for the hamburger, with the fresh and rich flavours of Italy. These delicious pork burgers are a new and interesting take on the traditional “burger and fries”, and best served with a Peroni or two.
- 1 large Spanish onion, sliced
- 3 red capsicums, sliced into strips
- 4 potatoes, unpeeled, each cut into 8-10 wedges
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Zest and juice 1 lemon
- 50g fresh breadcrumbs
- 500g pack pork mince
- 50g grated parmesan
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- A pinch dried chilli flakes
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- Some wild rocket
- Some sliced fresh tomato
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- To make the Peperonata, heat oven to 200C. Toss potato wedges, capsicum and onion in a large roasting tin with 1 tbsp oil and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and spread out in a single layer.
- Bake for 30-40 mins, turning halfway, until the potatoes are cooked through.
- Whilst in the oven, place the breadcrumbs in a mixing bowl and moisten with 2 tbsp cold water.
- Add the mince, Parmesan, parsley, garlic, chilli, fennel, and lemon zest. Season, mix well, then shape into 4 large, flat patties.
- Heat remaining oil in a pan and cook the patties for 7 mins on each side, or until they have a golden crust and are cooked through (alternatively, cook on the barbecue).
- Serve on ciabatta rolls with a spoonful of the peperonata and some tomato and rocket.