Honey Poached Pears with White Quinoa Porridge
Is your gluten free lifestyle getting you down? Are you tired of the same old tasteless, bland gluten free food substitutes,…. then you need this delicious take on the breakfast classic.
Here at Australian flavours we love our gluten intolerant followers and offer up this Quinoa porridge recipe. This is so good, even gluten eaters won’t bother buying oats ever again.
- 4 large Bosc pears (choose very firm ones), peeled, halved, and cored
- 4 cups water
- 1¼ cups honey
- 1 cup milk
- ⅓ cup quinoa flakes – you can find these flakes in the cereal or organic section of your local supermarket
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon castor sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- Some Crème fraiche
- Some fresh fruit
- In a large saucepan, mix the water and honey. Bring the poaching liquid to the boil.
- Gently lower the pear halves into the liquid, making sure they’re fully submerged and simmer, covered, on a low heat for 45 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the pears and set aside to strain.
- Strain the poaching liquid.
- Put the strained poaching liquid back on the heat and reduce it over low heat until syrupy.
- In a small to medium sized saucepan set over medium-high heat, bring the milk to a boil.
- When the milk comes to a boil, add in the ⅓ cup quinoa flakes, the vanilla, sugar and a pinch of salt, turn off the heat and give the cereal a stir.
- Let the cereal sit for 3 minutes, to allow the quinoa flakes to cook through.
- Give the cereal a final stir and ladle into 4 bowls and top with the pear halves and drizzle the syrup on top.
- Finish the dish off with some fresh fruit or berries and a spoon of crème fraiche.