Leek & Bacon Quiche
Need to feed the family, but don’t always have the time? This quiche can be made up to a week ahead of time and can be frozen after baking. That way you will always have a convenient treat.
If you really need to save time, you can use frozen puff pastry for this recipe. For the best results though it is definitely worth the extra effort to make your own.
- For the Crust:
- 1 ¼ cups plain flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 80g cold unsalted butter
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 tbsp ice water
- For the filling:
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large leek
- 220g rindless bacon
- 5 large eggs
- 125mL thickened cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 150g Gruyère cheese, grated
- Make the crust: In a food processor, pulse the flour with the salt. Add the butter and pulse until it is the size of small peas. Add the egg yolk and ice water and pulse until the pastry is moistened. Turn the pastry out onto a floured work surface and knead until smooth.
- Pat the pastry into a disk, wrap in cling wrap, and refrigerate until firm, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. On a floured surface, roll the disk of the pastry to a 12-inch round. Ease the pastry into a 10-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom without stretching.
- Trim the excess and use it to patch any holes. Refrigerate the tart shell for 10 minutes.
- Line the tart shells with foil and fill with dry rice or dried beans. Bake the tart shells for 30 minutes, just until dry. Remove the foil and rice/bean weights and bake the crusts for about 15 minutes longer, until it is dry and light golden in colour. Set aside the tart shell and allow to cool.
- For the Filling: Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat and cook onion until softened but not brown.
- Next add the sliced leek and then the bacon, stirring occasionally until lightly browned (about five minutes) then set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Place eggs, cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk ingredients together until well combined.
- To assemble: Sprinkle the cooled bacon and leek mixture over the pastry base and top it with the grated cheese.
- Gently pour egg mixture over the pastry cases.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes at 190°C or until quiche is set and lightly browned.