Epic Stuffed Cheeseburger
I believe it was Matthew McConaughey who said, “The Man who invented the hamburger was smart; The man who invented the cheeseburger was a genius”. Here in Australia a large amount of people would agree… with the cheeseburgers if not McConaughey’s movies.
This type of stuffed cheeseburger was said to have been created back in 1954 or earlier. The first appearance was at several bars in South Minneapolis US, often going by the alias Jucy Lucy. Rather than the typical layer of cheese on (or under) the patty, these burgers have double meat patties and a cheese filled centre. They are definitely not for the faint-hearted. What they are however is delicious.
All I can say is it is “Epic!”.
- 1kg ground beef, preferably chuck 80% beef 20% fat
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices cheddar or old English cheese
- 4 hamburger or brioche buns
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 8 leaves cos lettuce (1 small head)
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- Some sliced pickles
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium high.
- Season meat with salt and pepper, mix very lightly, and shape into 8 patties.
- Flatten these patties out and lay cheese on top of 4 of the patties.
- Place the remaining 4 patties on top of the patties with cheese and seal them together, by forming them with your hand, (make sure you seal the cheese inside).
- Grill hamburgers for about 7-8 minutes on each side, over a medium heat.
- (feel free to lay the more cheese slices on top of the hamburgers after they have been flipped).
- Whilst these are cooking, slice open the buns and lightly toast.
- To assemble, layer the beef patty, tomatoes, lettuce, sliced pickles, and onion slices on the toasted bun.
- Serve immediately.