Cinnamon Scrolls with Honey Glaze
Cinnamon scrolls or cinnamon rolls. Whatever you call them, one thing is certain; they are delicious!
This particular recipe has been known to vanish on completion with its sticky finger licking honey glaze and being warm fresh from the oven, with a cup of coffee or tea. Try with varietal honeys for a different taste every time.
Be warned these cinnamon scrolls are dangerously more-ish!
- For the rolls:
- 2 cups Milk
- ¼ cup thickened cream
- 2 ¾ cups plain flour
- 3 tablespoons castor sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 packet instant yeast
- ¾ cup hot chai
- 2 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- For the filling:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup sugar
- For the glaze:
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- For the dough:
- Place the cream and milk in a medium saucepan, on low heat, and allow to warm until just hot to the touch. Do not allow to simmer or boil. Remove this from the heat and set aside.
- Add the 2 ¼ cups of flour, sugar, salt, and yeast in a large mixing bowl and mix together until evenly combined.
- Next, mix the 2 ½ tablespoons of butter and warm milk together and then add to the flour, along with the egg and mix until the dough forms. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes and then let it rest for 10 minutes. It should have an elastic consistency.
- For the filling:
- In a small bowl, mix together the softened butter, cinnamon and sugar.
- To make the scrolls:
- Roll the dough out into a large rectangle on your work surface/bench. Spread the filling all over the top of the dough and then sprinkle on some more sugar if desired. Roll up the dough tightly and then cut into slices. Place in a greased pan. Cover with cling film and let the rolls rise for about 60 minutes.
- To bake:
- Preheat the oven to 190°C and bake the rolls for about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven after 15 minutes and cover with foil so the tops of the cinnamon rolls don't brown too quickly. Return to the oven for the remaining 10 minutes.
- To make the glaze:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the icing sugar and honey. Pour over the cinnamon rolls before serving.