Bush Tomato and Chilli Relish
Bush Tomatoes are a small, uniquely flavoured berries related to the tomato plant. They are a native Australian ingredient that have an intense, earthy, caramel-tomato flavour.
This relish captures that unique native flavour. It works really well with meats, pies, salads and a whole host of other savoury things you could dream up. It essence it can be used as a replacement of your more standard tomato or chilli relish.
- 2 chillies finely sliced
- 6 Bush Tomatoes reconstituted
- 4 tomatoes peeled and diced (how to peel see tips)
- 2 cloves garlic finely sliced
- 2 tblspn brown sugar
- 4 tblspn red wine vinegar
- 1 small red onion finely sliced
- 3 tblspn olive oil
- Dash of soy sauce
- To make this relish, heat the oil in a medium saucepan over high heat.
- Add the onions, chillies and tomatoes reduce the heat to medium, and cook until tomatoes are mushy.
- Add the garlic, soy, salt, pepper and the sugar, and let the sugar dissolve.
- Add the vinegar cook for a further 8 - 10 minutes on low heat.
- This can be stored in a sterilised jar or air tight container for many weeks.