Brandy Snaps with Vanilla Cream
Despite the name Brandy Snaps rarely contain brandy any more. We have based ours on a more traditional style recipe for the Christmas Holidays.
If you still wish to make them without the brandy, you still can; after all it is Christmas….
- 50g butter, chopped
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup golden syrup
- ⅓ cup plain flour
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- half a lemon, zest and 1 tsp juice
- 1½ teaspoons brandy
- For The Cream
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 160ml thickened cream
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar mixture
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line a tray with baking paper.
- Combine the butter, brown sugar and golden syrup in a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until butter melts and sugar dissolves.
- Set pan aside for approx. 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Next place the flour and ginger in a bowl and make a well in the centre, then add the lemon zest, juice and the brandy.
- Now pour in the butter mixture and gradually beat it into the flour until it is thoroughly combined.
- Use a teaspoon to dollop 3 - 4 heaps of mixture onto the prepared baking tray. (Note. A heaped tsp is enough for a cigar and two heaped teaspoons is enough for a basket).
- Space them well apart as they will spread. Cook in batches for 8 – 10 mins until set, golden brown and lacy in appearance. (Do not allow to go too dark as they will taste bitter).
- Leave for a minute before shaping.
- To Make Cigars:
- Then working quickly, use a palette knife to lift each one and wrap around the handle of a wooden spoon.
- Leave to set for 1 minute, gently slip off spoon and transfer to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- To Make Baskets:
- Prepare first by oiling the base of small ramekins or narrow tumblers.
- Working quickly, use a palette knife to lift each one and drape the biscuits over the moulds.
- The top of the biscuit should touch the base of the mould as it is the presentation side.
- Leave to set for 1 minute, gently slip off the mould and transfer to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- For The Cream:
- Use an electric mixer to whisk the cream, vanilla and icing sugar in a small bowl until soft peaks form. Spoon cream into a piping bag fitted with a fluted nozzle. Pipe the cream among each brandy snap. Serve immediately.
If you are interested in some of our other Christmas recipes, try looking at our Gingerbread House and Cookies, the Christmas Pudding, or our Christmas Shortbread Biscuits.