Apple Rose Tarts
Super simple and a sure to impress your guests, this beautiful rose-shaped dessert is made with lots of soft and delicious apple slices, wrapped in sweet and crispy puff pastry.
There are several ways you can prepare them. You can make your own dough or, like I did this time, use store bought frozen puff pastry. It’s much easier and a lot quicker!
- 1 frozen puff pastry sheet, thawed
- 2 red apples
- Juice of half a lemon
- 3 tablespoons of raspberry preserve
- Icing sugar for decorating
- Prepare a bowl with some water and the lemon juice. Cut the apples in half, remove the core and cut the apples in paper thin slices. Leave the peel so it will give the red colour to your roses. Right away, place the sliced apples in the bowl with lemon and water, so that they won't change colour.
- Now transfer the apples into a small sauce pan and simmer in the water for 2 minutes to soften the apples.
- Using a rolling pin stretch the puff pastry a little, trying to keep it in a rectangular shape.
- Cut the dough in 6 strips roughly 5 cm x 22 cm.
- Next spread the preserve on the dough.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C and then drain the apples.
- Place the apples along the top of the pastry, so the middle of the apple lines up with the middle of the pastry.
- Fold up the bottom part of the pastry to cover the apples.
- Carefully roll the pastry to form the tart, and place in a non-stick muffin tin.
- Do the same for all 6 roses. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until fully cooked and light golden brown.
- Dust with icing sugar and enjoy.